Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Pat McGrath Labs

Miss Shiney by Kaiit
There is no denying it, Pat McGrath cosmetics are opulent and sublime. There's no need for me to beat around the bush and go into a long-winded post (but we all know what's going to happen). The quality of what I've tried (lipstick and lip glosses) are excellent. I will await the day I try the eye shadows (a small palette is on its way) and I'm pretty much certain that they too will be divine. What can I say? Pat McGrath is an inspirational artist that inspires me. She is of Jamaican heritage, grew up in the UK and has been making waves and moves in the beauty industry long before she made her products line and received her accolades. Simply put, Pat McGrath is a legend and the type that I fully support and revel in her success - may it long continue!
The Story behind Pat McGrath's rise to makeup fame is not a short one. It first started with her mothers' passion for cosmetics which later became Pat McGrath's own obsession. It's quite a humorous tale, which really draws so many similarities with my own upbringing and shopping tripsI call them my mother's "holidays" because my mum loves to rope me into her little "outings" as I'm unlikely to run off like how my other siblings have and do. This raises an interesting question: What came first? Your passion or your mothers.  Ah, it's funny how daughters can become their mothers and in good form and fashion, Pat McGrath is endearingly called Mother in the industry which in a way, just might reflect where her affinity towards art, beauty, and cosmetics comes from - her own Mother.
Pat McGrath 1, 2,3 & 4
Pat McGrath has done so many looks and her team is so artistic, adventurous and epic that I simply cannot do it all justice in one post. I've been meaning to do Makeup Artist post for a long while (but you know how life goes). For now, I will just keep this focussed on being an initial review/thoughts post but, you are welcomed to enjoy the beautiful pics of Pat McGrath herself and click on the links (below her pictures) to read more about her from interviews etc. 

My Order
Mini MatteTrance in Color Blitz V2 and Mini Lip Gloss Trio in Colour Blitz V2
The Black Box: Incredibly messy in the most pleasant way imaginable. Mother does not skimp on her packaging. There were black spider-like tendrils spilling from every orifice of the box. This alone left me in no doubt that I would be in for some serious clean-up time. It was a little bit embarrassing having a messy box, but also exciting as I immediately knew who the packaged came from (embarrassment might also have been caused by waking up midday, not being able to find pants or my key but nevermind that).

The Clean-up: The black zig-zag things were easy to bag up but the sequins flew around like I knew they would - off into nooks and crannies that I could never reach and now are a part of the abode. Somewhere a sequin laughs. 
Lipstick Packaging: The mini lipsticks are brightly coloured and pretty sturdy. They're not heavy bullets (lightweight) and whilst I've seen some mini packages looking a bit shoddy online, the ones I have are completely fine and are not broken or falling to pieces. 
Matte Lip Trance: Fever Dream, Elson and Guinevere.
Formula: Creamy and matte. Generally lightweight texture with great pigmentation. Pat McGrath recommends using your fingers to blend the pigment on the lips (creates a beautiful finish) but for the swatches below, I applied like you would regularly from the bullet. Although, it's worth using your fingers as it feathers the shade out a bit (creates a sensual stained pout) and also uses less product so it stretches (shhh)
L-R: Fever Dream, Elon, and Guinevere. 
Fever Dream: Ain't going to lie, fever dream is not my favourite shade in the world but I knew that upon buying the set. It reminds me a little of Love Bug by Colourpop and Ginger by Kylie Cosmetics. It's a nude-reddish-gingery-orange-pink and I've swatched it for swatching sake - so you can see how it looks on dark skin (although Pat Mcgrath does have swatches) in unedited photos. The formula is smooth and lightweight but I feel like its a tad heavier than the other two or it could because I'm just shading the shade. 
Elson: I'm in love. The formula is a dream and maybe its because I like it so much but I think there's something extra going on - can you feel something? This is the type of red that ends other reds and starts a long life-lip-liaison which in lamens terms could be identified as a marriage (where do I file the papers?).
Guinevere: Slighty deeper and more brick toned than Elson. It's pretty and just as gorgeous as Elson in my opinion, and the formula is just as smooth.
Mini Lip Gloss: Celestial Ruby, Carnal Desire and Blood 2
Packaging + formula: each mini lip gloss comes in pretty cute packaging. The doe feet of the lust glosses are average but the lacquered gloss (celestial ruby) is slightly bigger and plusher this may be due to the lacquer being a thicker formula. The glosses are smooth, not sticky and have good to decent pigmentation and shine depending on what the shade and intended finish are. 
L-R: Blood 2, Carnal Desire and Celestial Ruby
Blood 2: Very smooth, pigmented and glossy. I haven't worn red glossy lips in a long time (laments) and this is the perfect red gloss that can ease me back into wearing my favourite shade as it's not too "kapow" and the formula is not overly glossy to raise eyebrows in beige settings (ya get me).
Carnal Desire: Absolutely hands down my favourite from the three. It's a gentle glittery gloss that looks so mesmerising and the glitters are so fine but striking - it could make a potato look and feel gorgeous. I'm not a potato but,  freshly applied carnal desire does make me feel like the woman I was born to be. Just like most lip glosses, it doesn't have outstanding stamina and will dry up and crust-ify well before the 5hrs let alone 8. You will need to reapply and jazz it up during the day otherwise, you'll only be left with sparkly shimmers and a little lip gloss crust.
Celestial Ruby: A deep metallic red. The formula of the luxe gloss is thicker/heavier than the lust gloss (blood 2/carnal desire) but it's not sticky or gloopy. This really is a statement gloss that looks gorgeous. The scent is a very strong sweet smell (I love sweet smells, I am the candy-loving fragrance freak that those who like unscented products will never understand - yes I do want to smell like cake) which reminds me of a Laura Mercier gloss I have (called Poppy) and a Buxuom gloss called Dolly - with how it smells. 
application process
End Thoughts: I love it. Each set cost £19.00 each which is pricey but doable (£6.30 for each product). Personally, I would recommend that if you're looking to try from the brand be it a lipstick/lipgloss - getting these little sets is a good way to test out the formulas without committing to a full-size product and investing too much. The only downside is that you may just get hooked ... but thankfully, Pat McGrath does offer discounts every now and then and her current mini palette in Platinum Bronze is 50% off (25/01/2020). I know many people think that her prices are too much and the packaging is wasteful but, I actually have a few thoughts on high-end makeup (plus packaging) and why I think there is a place - and dare I say it - should be a place for it (radical I know). Ultimately, Pat McGrath products do live up to the hype and I'm not surprised. 

Have you tried anything from Pat McGrath?
How has Mother inspired you?
How has your mother inspired you?

Your comments are always welcomed and appreciated!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar