I've always found it unreasonably hard to find a good mascara, to the point where I can count on one hand the few mascaras I like and would buy again. There are so many mascaras on the market so you would assume they would be easy to find but that does not seem to be the case for anyone. What I am trying to say is; I am a hard customer to please when it comes to mascara. I feel like mascara makes the biggest impact to your look and it is the one beauty product I couldn't be without which is why I hold them to such a high standard.

The amount of mascaras I have tried over the years pains me, especially considering how few I actually like but this has not stopped me from continuing my pursuit for a new mascara that is going to tick each point to be a winning mascara. Personally I do not think I ask for much but I will let you be the judge of that. When I look for a mascara, I want: volume, clumpy lashes, it has to be jet black and most importantly it cannot transfer. The most difficult attribute to find is the non-transfer aspect. I have tried a lot of mascaras that make my lashes look amazing but transfer has been their downfall. This month I have been testing the Nars Climax Extreme Mascara to see whether it was a winner, just like its predecessor.
Nars - Climax Mascara
The original
Climax Mascara was a big launch for the brand with their previous mascaras not quite reaching the mark. The Climax Mascara was the first mascara that truly worked well from the brand and it quickly became an influencer favourite. It took me a while to come around to trying it but eventually I tried it and I ended up loving it. It did smudge a little bit but that got better as the mascara began to dry out a little bit. Ultimately this became my
Top Mascara of 2019 which was quite the accolade as I had spent the year testing out tons of different mascaras.
Extreme Climax Mascara
Thanks to the success of the OG Climax mascara I hoped for bigger and better things from the Extreme version and I can say that I received that. Everything is bigger and better with the Extreme Climax Mascara and considering I loved the original I think it is safe to say that I liked this one but how does it compare to the original?
The Packaging
Anyone who is familiar with Nars will know they lean towards the more risque with product names like Deep Throat and Orgasm, even this mascara is called Climax and the packaging for this mascara is no different. With its ribbed texture it feels more like it belongs in someone's sex drawer rather than their makeup bag.
For the Extreme version they've sexed it up even more with the sleek matte black design. The glossy red of the original mascara was incredible but the black tube is even more sexy. When you see this tube you know exactly what it is, I've never really seen a brand create packaging quite like it. This packaging truly embodies the Nars brand.
The Wand
The wand for the Extreme mascara can only be described as the XXL version of the regular mascara. The wand is huge and it helps to really build up your lashes. The wand is much thicker than the OG and this is why it gives such a bold look. The wand is so large that it allows you to coat your lashes in a swift swipe from the root of your lashes all the way to the tip. A couple of repeats and your lashes are massive.
In comparison to the OG climax mascara, the extreme version gives clumpier lashes instantly and that is due to the wand being that little bit thicker. The wand on this mascara reminds me of the
Tom Ford Extreme Mascara. The wand is huge which in turns give huge lashes but this mascara doesn't have the more detailed point that the Tom Ford wand has but I maintain that this mascara does feel like bit of a cheaper equivalent to the Tom Ford mascara in more ways than just the wand shape. The end result of using the mascara is also pretty similar but the formula is completely different.
The Formula
The matte black packaging matches the matte black finish of the formula. Somehow the pigment in this mascara has been upped in this mascara and it really emphasises your eyes. Combined with the massive wand, you can create some massive lashes. The formula is light but rich with colour so your lashes have a lift and look more bold instantly.
Compared to the OG, the Extreme version gives you the impact instantly with one coat. The formula of this mascara does feel that little bit thicker which is probably why you get that more clumpy look. Also it does mean that it doesn't take as long to dry. I feel like the OG Climax mascara is a tad more wet which leaves your lashes looking more sleek, lengthened rather than volumised.
The Effect
This claims to be smudge-proof, flake free and clump resistant; some of this I agree with, some of it I don't. This mascara certainly is flake free but this does smudge. I really struggle to find mascaras that do not smudge around my eyes and unfortunately this does not make it to the elusive club. This smudges way more than the original which is disappointing as I love everything else about this mascara so much more than the original.
Despite claiming to be clump free, which it is, this can create a clumpy lash look which is actually what I prefer. When you apply one coat of this mascara it adds the length and the rich black pigment but a few more coats and you are in clumpy lash heaven. Personally I want my lashes a bit clumpy so they look bold and really frame my eyes. I want my lashes to look they have come straight from the 60s and I do get that look with this mascara. This really does give me the lashes I am after but the smudging is not good. I have now come to the end of this mascara and the smudging didn't get better as the mascara got older. In fact the formula doesn't really change over that time as it starts out quite dry.

If you are looking for a mascara that is less likely to smudge, it looks like you are better off going with the OG Climax mascara but if you are looking to up your game in every other department then give the Extreme version a go. As the name suggests you are going to get Extreme lashes from using this mascara, there are no surprises. Nars really knocked it out of the park with the Climax Mascara range and once you've given it a go you know why these mascaras are a cult favourite.
Both versions of the mascara comes in a mini version for £10 which is how I tried both the mascaras. I rarely commit myself to a full size product as I am always looking for something better but I would be tempted to by the full size Climax mascara, it might not give the massive lashes I love but it doesn't smudge as much which is the most important factor for me.
You might also like:
0 Yorumlar